Jun 10, 2023  
2017-2018 Guide to Graduate Studies 
2017-2018 Guide to Graduate Studies [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduate Studies

Office of Graduate Studies

Geneseo provides Master’s degree programs in Accounting, and Education. Most programs are offered for full-time or part-time students, with courses generally scheduled in the late afternoon and evening. Internship and other field placement courses usually require students to be enrolled on a full-time basis for the duration of the internship.

Inquiries concerning graduate study in all areas should be referred to the Director of Graduate Studies, Dr. Savi Iyer (iyer@geneseo.edu).

Admission to The Graduate Program

Admission to the College is based upon the academic and personal qualifications of applicants and is granted without regard to age, color, disability, marital status, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, race, or status as a disabled or Vietnam-era veteran. The candidate selection process is highly competitive; the College attempts to identify those individuals who will most benefit from the curricular and co-curricular programs offered. Applicants can be considered for a Master’s degree program, for non-degree status, or as a non-matriculated graduate student.

All applicants seeking admission as degree or non-degree students must provide evidence of (1) having earned a baccalaureate degree at an accredited institution of higher education, and (2) an undergraduate record which indicates a potential for success in graduate study.

Graduates of colleges and universities that are not accredited may be admitted on a provisional basis.

A complete application for degree status must include:

  1. completed application form;
  2. official transcript(s) from all institutions of higher education attended; all education admits must possess a cumulative GPA of 3.0;
  3. scores on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) for Accounting; scores on the Graduate Record Examination or Miller Analogies Test for education programs;
  4. letters of recommendation from two persons who can attest to the academic potential for graduate study and personal character of the applicant;
  5. other special requirements (as noted in individual program descriptions), which may include proof of New York State certification and a written response to an essay prompt.

Note: applicants to the education programs, who do not meet the admissions requirement above, may apply for a waiver.

Admission of applicants is determined by the Deans and faculty members of the School concerned in consultation with the Director of Graduate Studies. To apply for a graduate program, please visit the Admissions Office website at http://www.geneseo.edu/graduate_admissions.

Master’s Degree Requirements

Each graduate degree program is fully described in this Guide. The following general academic policies must be followed in meeting master’s degree requirements.

Plan of Study

Each student in a Master’s degree program follows a formal plan of study, which he/she draws up in consultation with a faculty advisor. Although practices vary within each program, the College highly recommends that students file a formal plan before beginning graduate study and, certainly, no later than midterm of the first semester of graduate study. Changes in the formal program must be approved by the director of the student’s graduate program (or designee). Students should consult the office of their graduate program for instructions in filing a plan of study.

Change of Degree Objective

A graduate student who desires to change from one degree program to another must secure the approval, in writing, of the Director of Graduate Studies and the new department. An application for degree status must be filed for the new degree program.

Degree Time Limitations

A graduate student in a degree program who does not actively pursue a credit-bearing course of study at Geneseo for a period of three years automatically is separated from the college. Subsequently, such a student may apply for readmission.

If the student meets the admission standards in effect at the time of application for readmission, he or she may be admitted to a degree program current at that time. The Director of Graduate Studies, in consultation with the appropriate School, determines the courses completed prior to separation which are applicable to the degree program being pursued following readmission.

Only those credits which were earned within six years immediately prior to the completion of all degree requirements may be counted toward the Master’s degree.

Transfer and Workshop Credit

Transfer credits may be accepted as part of a graduate program if they are:

  1. graduate level and from a graduate degree program;
  2. relevant to the student’s program;
  3. from a fully accredited institution;
  4. of “B” quality or higher;
  5. less than five years old at the time of the student’s first enrollment at Geneseo

Students already enrolled in a graduate program at Geneseo should consult with their advisor and department chair/program director prior to registering for courses which they wish to have transferred to their graduate program at the College. A maximum of six credits in graduate workshop courses may be accepted as part of a master’s degree program. All graduate workshop courses are designated, numerically, as 579, or 679. Subtitles for each workshop course offering are listed in the semester Master Schedule of Course Offerings. Workshops may be graded either on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory or regular grade basis. This information is contained in the course description of each specific workshop offering. S/U grades are not used in computation of students’ grade-point averages.

The total of transfer and workshop credit accepted towards a master’s degree may not exceed 12 hours. Candidates for the MA in Speech-Language Pathology may transfer a maximum of 3 hours.

Enrollment in Undergraduate Courses

Credit toward a graduate degree may not be granted for coursework below the 400 level except following approval of a petition to the Director of Graduate Studies. In general, such approval shall be limited to unusual program circumstances adequately documented in petitions.

Master’s Thesis (or Project)

Master’s degree candidates in several programs have the option to complete a thesis or project in partial fulfillment of degree requirements. Candidates should check the requirements of their specific program. The thesis is prepared under the direction of the major department and should demonstrate capacity for independent research, facility in organization and expression, and originality in thought. The thesis must receive the approval of the department graduate committee and the Director of Graduate Studies, and general guidelines for its preparation may be obtained from the Graduate Studies Office. Additional requirements and guidelines may be obtained from the candidate’s department. A candidate considering completion of a thesis or project should review all guidelines with a faculty advisor before pursuing this choice. Students who anticipate selecting the thesis or project option should so notify the appropriate department office as early in their program as possible. A student must formally register his/her intention to make a thesis defense in the Graduate Studies Office. This registration should be done as soon as possible, but in no case later than two weeks prior to the defense.

A candidate for a thesis must:

  1. be an admitted degree student;
  2. have completed all major area course requirements and foreign language requirements by the end of the semester in which the thesis is written
  3. be able to provide the examining committee with copies of the completed thesis a minimum of two weeks prior to the examination; and
  4. have a graduate GPA of 3.00 or higher.

Comprehensive Examinations

Master’s degree candidates in several programs have the option to take a written comprehensive examination in partial fulfillment of degree requirements. Candidates should check the requirements of their specific program. The dates for the examination are set by each individual program but generally occur no later than two weeks prior to the end of the instructional period in which candidates expect to complete requirements for the master’s degree. Early in their graduate program, candidates should contact the Dean of their department for specific information as to the nature of the comprehensive examination and for guidance in preparing for it. A student must register his/her intention to take a comprehensive examination with the School of Education. This registration should be done as soon as possible before the examination, but no later than two months prior to the examination.

A candidate for a comprehensive examination must:

  1. be an admitted degree student;
  2. be within six credits of graduation at the end of the semester in which the examination is taken;
  3. have completed all major requirements and core area course requirements and foreign language requirements as specified in the candidate’s program; and
  4. have a graduate GPA of 3.00 or higher.

The comprehensive examination must be passed in its entirety (including all parts) before credit for the examination is awarded. A student failing all or part of an examination may request a second attempt to pass the test. The student’s request should be made in writing to the supervising department, with a copy to the Graduate Studies Office, no later than thirty days after formal receipt of the failing grade notice. Second attempts will be made in the next scheduled offering of the examination unless special arrangements have been approved by the academic department(s) in question. Failure on the second attempt of all or any part of a comprehensive examination will subject a student to academic dismissal from the program. Candidates cannot attempt the comprehensive examination more than twice, with a retest of any part considered another attempt. Following an unsuccessful first attempt, the candidate cannot elect another terminal option such as a thesis or comprehensive project. Copies of the College Policies governing the administration of comprehensive examinations are available in the Graduate Studies Office and the appropriate department offices.

Financial Information

Tuition and Fees

Please visit http://www.geneseo.edu/student_accounts for detailed and up-to-date information about tuition and fees.

Financial Assistance

Financial aid programs are governed by federal or state regulations and are subject to change at any time. The most recent information is available in the Financial Aid Office, Erwin 104. All students seeking financial assistance are required to complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Financial assistance is available or those who qualify through the following programs:

  1. Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
  2. Federal Perkins Loan
  3. Federal Work-Study (FWS)
  4. Stafford Loan

A number of full-time graduate assistantships are available each year to well-qualified degree candidates. Full-time graduate assistantships include a stipend and a waiver of tuition per academic year. Assistants are required to apply for Tuition Assistance Program awards which, if received, constitute part of the assistantship. Recipients of full-time graduate assistantships must register for 8 to 10 hours of course work each semester and are expected to assist their designated department up to 20 hours per week. Applications for graduate assistantships may be obtained from the Office of Graduate Studies, Erwin 106 or specific departments. Former EOP, HEOP, and SEEK undergraduates may be eligible for the Graduate Opportunity Program Tuition Scholarship. Applicants must be enrolled as full-time matriculated students in a graduate program at SUNY Geneseo. Acceptance into the program is determined based on the number of scholarships allocated to the campus. Applications may be obtained online or from the Office of Graduate Studies in Erwin 106.

Registering for Courses

For new graduate students, Kelly Hoag will register you for your first semester of courses. Please send an email to Kelly Hoag (hoag@geneseo.edu) with a list of courses that you wish to take. Make sure you include your name, your G00#, the course titles, and the course CRN’s. When pre-registration begins for your second semester of classes, you will be able register by yourself through Knightweb. For questions regarding graduate course registration contact Kelly Hoag in the Graduate Office.

Knightweb/Geneseo Student I.D. Numbers

Students use Knightweb in order to access their personal, registration, financial aid, and records information. If you have never used Knightweb before and do not know your Geneseo Student I.D. number, please contact Kelly Hoag. It would be a good idea to memorize this number as you will be using it often.

Graduate Course Numbering System

Courses numbered 600-699 are open only to matriculated graduate students majoring in the discipline offering them; those numbered 500-599 are open to all graduate students who fulfill prerequisites listed. Undergraduate courses are numbered 100-499. Undergraduate courses may be taken for graduate credit only upon special approval from the Director of Graduate Studies. Such petitions are only rarely accepted.


Certain courses list one or more prerequisites, which are usually indicated by department and course numbers. Satisfactory completion of the prerequisite course(s) is expected before registration for the advanced courses. Prerequisites are instituted to assist students in avoiding courses for which they are not adequately prepared and to maintain academic and/or instructional standards.

If a student believes he/she had “equivalent” preparation for a prerequisite, he/she may request a waiver of the prerequisite from the course instructor and/or program coordinator. The term “concurrently” or “co-requisite” means that simultaneous registration in whatever is indicated must be maintained as long as the student remains registered in the original course. Previous completion of that which is so labeled also satisfies the requirement. In all cases, it is the student’s responsibility to abide by prerequisite statements. Doubts about eligibility should be resolved by consulting an academic advisor, the instructor of the course, or the School concerned.

Course Load

Course loads are determined by the department/program and the student in consultation with a student’s academic advisor. The maximum load for full-time graduate students during the regular academic year is 12 hours per semester. During the Summer Sessions, the maximum load may exceed this limit where program requirements and course rotations necessitate. A petition to carry more than the maximum load during the Summer Session must be approved in writing by the student’s advisor, the Dean or program coordinator in the School, and the Director of Graduate Studies.

Directed and Independent Study Courses

Class sections usually are held on bases of frequency, location, and time agreed upon mutually by instructors and students, rather than on the published standardized schedule to which most courses conform. Course requirements are completed by students on an independent, individualized basis, under the guidance and supervision of members of the faculty. Within a single discipline or combinations thereof, students engage in academic pursuits such as: (1) conducting research and reporting results; (2) investigating problems and presenting and/or discussing conclusions; (3) reading intensively in the discipline(s); and (4) studying advanced subject matter content relating to a selected subject, special topic, or specific area. Opportunities for directed study are available in many of the content and departmental areas at the College. The levels at which such study can be undertaken vary, but the numbers of such courses usually end in “99.” The permanent records of students who enroll in these courses are noted “DS/”, followed by a specified, brief title.

Interdepartmental and Interdisciplinary Courses

Such courses carry an INTD designation and often are taught by instructors from, and taken by students in, multiple departments or general academic areas. It is the belief of members of the academic community that certain content is appropriately taught and strengthened by an interdepartmental or interdisciplinary approach.

Withdrawal from Course(s)

A student may withdraw from a course and receive a grade of “W” before the posted withdrawal deadline. The form appropriate for this procedure can be obtained from the Record’s Office or the Office of Graduate Studies. A “W” grade is not recorded unless the entire withdrawal process, including the filing of all necessary forms with the Director of Graduate Studies, is completed by the withdrawal deadline date. A “W” grade is not computed in determining a student’s grade-point average.

Auditing Courses

Auditing courses offered by the School of Education requires the permission of both the instructor of the course and the Dean of the School of Education. Library privileges are available. Auditing is not available for courses offered by the School of Business. Auditors receive no formal recognition, nor are they required to meet course requirements.

Academic Policies

Grading System

The grade point average defines the level of scholarship achieved by a student. It is used in determining scholastic standing and in establishing eligibility for honors. The average is computed by dividing the “quality points” earned by “credits carried.” “Carried credits” include all those for courses in which grades of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D, or E are received. Quality points are awarded as follows for each of these assigned final grades:

Final Grade Quality points per credit Final Grade Quality points per credit
A 4.0 C+ 2.3
A- 3.7 C 2.0
B+ 3.3 C- 1.7
B 3.0 D 1.0
B- 2.7 E 0.0

Grade point average

The “grade point average” defines the level of scholarship achieved by a student. The average is computed by dividing “quality points earned” by the “credits carried”. “Carried” hours include all those courses in which grades of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D, and E are recorded. Determination of a sample grade point average for a semester follows:

SUBJ and Number Grade Credits Quality Points
CURR 538   A 3 12.0
CURR 540   A- 3 11.1
EDUC 640   B 3 9.0
SPAN 599 B- 3 8.1
  Totals 12 40.2

The grade point average in the example above equals 40.2 (quality points) divided by 12 (credits carried) = 3.35, which indicates a level of scholarship above a B (3.00) for the semester. (Note: Grade point averages are truncated to two decimal places, with no rounding up from a third decimal place.)

No other grades received at the College (e.g., P or S) earn quality points. Grades in courses taken at other schools and accepted in transfer do not earn quality points at Geneseo. At the end of each semester two grade point averages are computed: one for the “Current Semester” (which reflects the results only of courses carried in the semester just completed) and the other for the “Cumulative Record” (which reflects the results of all courses carried to date at the College). Grade point averages calculated for students with “Incomplete” designations on their records are not official; the official computation is done when final grades have replaced any “I” and have been recorded.

S/U Grades

Grades of satisfactory (S) and unsatisfactory (U) are used to evaluate performance in certain graduate courses including some workshop courses and practica. A grade of S indicates credit earned, and a grade of U indicates no credit awarded. Grades of S or U are not included in the computation of the grade-point average. Geneseo does not accept S grades (or its equivalent) from other institutions for transfer credit.

Pass-Fail Option

A graduate student may not elect the pass-fail option for any course.

“SP” Designation

“SP” (Satisfactory Progress) is used to report a student’s status in research courses when engaged in work which extends beyond one semester. When the work is completed, the “SP” is converted to a final letter grade assigned by the instructor. Credits for such courses are not computed in determining a student’s GPA until a final letter grade has been recorded.


An “I” (Incomplete) is a temporary grade given at the discretion of the instructor if he/she believes it is inadvisable or impossible for a student to complete the work of a course at the scheduled time for reasons clearly beyond the student’s control. The “I” must be removed before the completion of the fall or spring semester following the term in which it was recorded, after which the I may be converted to an E at the discretion of the College. An extension of time, because of special circumstances, may be granted by the Director of Graduate Studies. The Records Office notifies the student, the instructor of the course, and the student’s advisor whenever an “Incomplete” becomes a failure.

Repeated Courses

In general, matriculated students in graduate courses may repeat a course in which they have received a failing grade. (Some restrictions apply, including some student teaching placements and other practica. Students should consult individual department offices for specific restrictions.) Any course in which a student earns a passing grade may NOT be repeated for credit. Should a student enroll in a course successfully completed in a previous semester, the credit hours earned will not be included in the student’s total hours earned nor will the second grade earned be included in the student’s cumulative average. In addition, the course will be marked “REPEAT” on the student’s transcript. Contact the Financial Aid office, Erwin 104, regarding the impact of repeating courses on financial aid eligibility.

Appeal of Grades

A students who believes an instructor has assigned a grade which is either unfair or punitive for non-academic reasons, who have consulted the instructor, and who are still unsatisfied, may request a review of the grade by using the College policy on grade appeals. Specific information on the procedures can be obtained from the Office of Graduate Studies.

Academic Advisement

Degree candidates in all programs are assigned advisors in their major field upon the recommendation of the chair/program director of their departments. Advisors provide counsel and assistance, but the responsibility for seeking advisement and fulfilling degree requirements rests with the student. Normally, non-matriculated students are not assigned advisors. Periodic advisement with the Director of Graduate Studies is required for all non-degree students.

Academic Standards

Minimum Competence Requirement

Master’s candidates in any teacher education program must satisfy the 3.0 cumulative grade point average requirement to continue in their Master’s program and to graduate. A grade of C or better is required for each of the courses in their program, and any course in which the candidate has earned less than a C cannot be used to meet program requirements.

Good Academic Standing

Graduate students whose cumulative graduate grade-point average falls below 3.0 but higher than the dismissal level specified above receive a letter of academic warning from the Director of Graduate Studies. While these students are considered in good academic standing at the College, they are reminded that a cumulative grade-point average of 3.00 is required for the master’s degree. They may also wish to seek assistance from their advisor, department chair/program director, the Director of Graduate Studies, or the Counseling Office

Students receiving financial aid are required to attain satisfactory progress toward a master’s degree by completing a minimum number of credits per semester. Please contact the Financial Aid Office, Erwin 104 for more information.

Academic Probation

Students are placed on Academic Probation if they fail to:

  1. remove schedule deficiencies;
  2. satisfy provisional admission conditions;
  3. attain a 2.75 grade-point average after the completion of 12 credits of graduate courses accepted toward his/her program;
  4. attain a 2.87 grade-point average after the completion of 24 credits of graduate courses accepted toward his/her program;
  5. attain the necessary 3.0 grade-point average within the hourly requirements prescribed for the degree. Upon successful petition to the Director of Graduate Studies, and with the recommendation of the department, a candidate may be granted permission to take a maximum of six additional hours in an effort to attain the required grade-point average;
  6. meet individual departmental standards;
  7. successfully complete all or any part of a comprehensive examination on the second attempt.

The student will be informed of this action by the Director of Graduate Studies. Within 30 days of the date of this notice the student may appeal the decision. Appeals must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies in Erwin 106.

Academic Dishonesty Policy


Plagiarism is the representation of someone else’s words or ideas as one’s own, or the arrangement of someone else’s material(s) as one’s own. Such misrepresentation may be sufficient grounds for a student’s receiving an “E” grade for the paper or presentation involved or may result in an “E” grade being assigned as the final grade for the course.

Any one of the following constitutes evidence of plagiarism:

  1. direct quotation without identifying punctuation and citation of source;
  2. paraphrase of expression or thought without proper attribution;
  3. unacknowledged dependence upon a source in plan, organization, or argument.

Please visit https://www.geneseo.edu/dean_office/dishonesty for information on Student Academic Dishonesty Policy and Procedures.

Additional Information for New Students

Geneseo I.D. Cards

In order to receive your Geneseo I.D. card, you must have already registered for your first semester courses. Bring a print-out of your class schedule along with your driver’s license to: Campus Auxiliary Services in Blake A 108. You can print a copy of your course schedule directly from Knightweb. When you are in the office, you will have your picture taken and receive your I.D. card. There is a fee to replace a lost card.

Campus Correspondence

As a graduate student, you will not have an on-campus mailbox. All mailings will be sent directly to your off-campus/permanent mailing address. E-mail is the primary means of communication between faculty, staff, and students. Your Geneseo e-mail address is listed on Knightweb under the Personal Information Menu.

Parking Permits

If you will be driving to and parking on campus while taking classes, you must have a parking permit and park in the commuter parking lots. In order to obtain a parking permit, visit the Parking Services web site at http://www.geneseo.edu/pts.

Library Use

Milne Library is open for use by all students. You will need to have your Geneseo I.D. card with you in order to sign out materials from the library. To use the computers, your username and password are the same as your email address and password.


From the my.geneseo.edu portal, you can access you email account, your academic records, your financial balances. You can customize your page with links to your favorite websites and other customization options.


A transcript reflects the results of courses in which the student was registered at the College. In addition, when applicable, they indicate either the date of graduation and the degree conferred or the date of withdrawal or dismissal. Students may request official transcripts of their permanent records by contacting the Registrar’s Office in Erwin 102 or visiting http://www.geneseo.edu/registrar/transcriptinformation.

Disability Services

The Office of Disability Services provides assistance and coordinating support services for students who have various impairments, facilitating access to programs, services, and campus facilities by the removal of architectural barriers and the initiation of program changes. The Office serves any full-time or part-time Geneseo student with a qualified permanent disability which limits one or more of life’s major activities (walking, talking, seeing, hearing, breathing, learning, etc.); this includes students with mobility, sensory, communication, mental or learning differences, as well as those with basic health impairments or “hidden disabilities” (epilepsy, diabetes, rheumatism, cancer, alcoholism, etc.) It is up to the individual student to choose whether to take advantage of any of Disability Service’s offerings. Students anticipating use of support services should contact the Office of Disability Services in Erwin 22 as soon as possible to discuss accommodations.

Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action

The State University of New York College at Geneseo actively supports equal opportunity for all persons and takes affirmative action to see that both the total student and employee populations at the College enjoy equal opportunities. The College is based upon the academic and personal qualifications of applicants and is granted without regard to age, color, disability, marital status, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, race, or status as a disabled or Vietnam-era veteran. Financial assistance, within the limits of resources available, is provided on an equal basis to all qualified students, including minorities and women, who are making satisfactory progress toward a degree. The College makes its placement services available only to those firms and school systems which comply with existing equal opportunity laws, and so informs all clients and potential employers. Employers who seek to restrict applicants to a particular race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, or sex (except in limited cases where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification) are not served; nor are employers who fail to depict minorities, women, and individuals with disabilities in a favorable light in promotional literature or other materials. The College encourages the development of courses which are relevant to the experiences of, and facilitates and supports appropriate expansion of research materials dealing with, minorities and women. The College encourages the involvement of students, faculty, and administrators, including those who are members of minority groups, in the affairs of the community.

Student Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 permits current or former students to inspect College educational records pertaining to them as individuals and to obtain copies for a fee. Students are also accorded a right to question the content of a record and to receive a formal hearing if dissatisfied with responses to such questions. Written consent from a student is required before personally identifiable information can be released from the individual educational record in all cases except those specifically exempted by law.