Jun 24, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2023-2024 Undergraduate Bulletin

Financial Aid

The Office of Financial Aid administers state and federal financial aid programs, including grants, loans, and work study. To be considered for financial aid, students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Go to https://studentaid.gov to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list Geneseo’s federal school code - 002845. Students that are NY State residents should also complete a NYS Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application at https://www.tap.hesc.ny.gov/totw/. Prospective early action applicants should apply by November 15 and will receive financial aid notices beginning in mid-December; regular decision candidates should apply by February 1 and be notified in March. Continuing students should apply by February 15 and be notified in late-April. (Note: the 2024-25 FAFSA will be delayed due to the implementation of the FAFSA Simplification Act. Check the Office of Financial Aid’s website for updated information.)


Federal Financial Aid Programs

Federal Pell Grant

Pell is an entitlement program for undergraduates matriculated in a degree program. Federal Pell Grants do not need to be repaid and are awarded based on financial need. Students are limited to 12 semesters of Federal Pell Grant eligibility during their lifetime or may be awarded up to the first bachelor’s degree, whichever comes first.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is a grant that is awarded to the highest need Federal Pell Grant recipients. Preference is given to early FAFSA filers. Funds are limited.

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

This work program is for students demonstrating significant financial need and primarily includes positions on campus. Whenever possible, placements are made in accord with students’ educational/vocational goals. Students typically can earn approximately $1000 per semester. Federal Work Study positions are filled on a first come first serve basis.

Federal Direct Subsidized Student Loan

This federal, need-based subsidized loan is available to undergraduate students only. Loan eligibility is determined by the college, based on costs and the results of the FAFSA This low interest loan becomes payable once the student graduates, withdraws, or drops below 6 credit hours.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan

This loan is available to all eligible undergraduate and graduate students, regardless of income. The unsubsidized loan’s terms and conditions are the same as the subsidized loan, except that interest accrues on this loan while the student is enrolled. Please refer to the Office of Financial Aid website for more information.

Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

This loan will allow parents of dependent students to borrow up to the cost of education minus other financial aid. Parents may borrow each year that a dependent student is in college. The interest and principal payments for the loan begin after the funds are disbursed. Parents may request a forbearance to avoid making payment while the student is enrolled. Complete details are available from https://studentaid.gov/.

Veterans’ Administration

Eligible veterans and children or spouses of eligible deceased or service-connected, disabled veterans may be eligible for aid for approved post-secondary study. Information and application forms are available at all Veterans’ Administration Offices.

Bureau of Indian Education

The U. S. Bureau of Indian Education’s Higher Education Grant offers “supplemental financial assistance to eligible American Indian and Alaska Native scholars…” Awards vary based upon need and availability of funds. More information is available through students’ tribal
leaders and at www.bie.edu.

New York State Financial Aid Programs

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

TAP is a grant program for New York State residents attending approved colleges in the State. Students must apply annually for this grant using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the NYS Student Aid Payment Application (also known as the TAP application). TAP award amounts are based on New York State net taxable income and the number of family members attending college full time. Awards range from $500 to $5665 for up to eight semesters of full-time study. TAP recipients also receive a SUNY Tuition Credit, an additional grant based on the TAP award amount, intended to assist students in covering tuition increases. In addition to TAP, the State of New York offers 15 other scholarships and awards. Information is available at www.hesc.com.

Excelsior Scholarship

NY State residents who meet the income and academic criteria of the Excelsior Scholarship may qualify for a scholarship up to the cost of tuition. For more information on Excelsior or to apply go to www.hesc.ny.gov.

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)

EOP admits undergraduate students who are academically and economically disadvantaged as defined by program guidelines. EOP awards annual grants to students in the program. EOP is available only to New York State residents. The FAFSA form is used to determine financial eligibility. Contact SUNY Geneseo’s Access Opportunity Program Office at (585) 245-5725 with specific questions.

New York State DREAM Act

The New York State Dream Act gives undocumented students and students whose parents have recently moved out of New York State access to New York State‐administered grants and scholarships (such as TAP and the Excelsior Scholarship) that support their higher education costs. For more information or to apply, please go to www.hesc.ny.gov

Geneseo Scholarships

All students accepted for freshmen and transfer admission are automatically considered for scholarships by the Office of Financial Aid. Continuing students are highly encouraged to submit an online application to be considered for Geneseo Foundation Scholarships. The online application opens on or around February 1st for the next academic year. Continuing students looking for assistance for a study abroad program should contact the Study Abroad Office for scholarship opportunities.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for Financial Aid

Students must meet prescribed standards of academic progress in order to continue to receive Federal and State financial assistance in subsequent semesters. Compliance with State standards is reviewed each semester; Federal standards are reviewed annually after the spring term.

Below are the criteria used to assess state academic progress.

This chart should be used for students who first received TAP in 2010-2011 or later.

End of Semester 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Required Sem. Hrs.of Graded (non-W’s) credit 6 6 9 9 12 12 12 12 12
Required Minimum Cumulative Hrs. Earned 6 15 27 39 51 66 81 96 111
Minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average 1.50 1.80 1.80 2.00 2.00 2.00 2.00 2.00 2.00

This chart should be used for students in the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP), and those who first received TAP prior to 2010-2011.​

End of Semester 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9*
Required Sem. Hrs.of Graded (non-W’s) credit 6 6 9 9 12 12 12 12 12
Required Minimum Cumulative Hrs. Earned 3 9 21 33 45 60 75 90 105
Minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average 1.10 1.20 1.30 2.00 2.00 2.00 2.00 2.00 2.00

*Students may only receive 8 semesters of TAP. The only exception is students in the Education Opportunity Program (EOP)  who may receive up to 10 semesters of state aid.

Failure to Meet State Standards

A student who fails to meet the academic standards for NYS financial aid will be notified by mail. Notices will be sent upon completion of the term once grades are submitted and reviewed.

Reinstatement of State Eligibility

Students who lose their eligibility for New York State financial aid for failing to meet the standards listed above may submit a waiver (also known as an appeal) to have their State financial aid eligibility reinstated. If approved, state aid will be reinstated. Such a waiver can be granted only one time in a student’s undergraduate academic career. In order to apply for an appeal (see Appeal Process), the student must demonstrate that an unusual/extenuating circumstance existed while the student was enrolled at SUNY Geneseo and had affected his/her academic performance; that the circumstance is now resolved or no longer exists; and provide documentation of the circumstance. 

Federal Financial Aid Standards of Academic Progress

Federal financial aid regulations assess progress using three criteria - Pace, Grade Point Average (GPA), and Maximum Timeframe.

Pace of Progression

A student’s pace is calculated by dividing the number of hours earned by the total number of hours attempted. Accepted transfer credits are included in both the total number of attempted and total number of completed credits.

  • A student must complete at least 67% of all cumulative attempted credit hours to continue receiving federal student aid.

Grade Point Average

  • To maintain eligibility for federal aid, a student must earn a minimum 2.0 Cumulative GPA.

Maximum Timeframe

  • Federal aid cannot be paid to a student who exceeds 150% of the published length of the degree program (180 credits).

All credits attempted at SUNY Geneseo, even terms in which the student did not receive financial aid, are included in attempted credits including all W, I, E, F and U grades. Transfer credits accepted by SUNY Geneseo will be included as both credits attempted and credits completed. Transfer credits not accepted are not considered. Withdrawals are also included in the attempted credits calculation. Repeat courses are counted once. Note: Students receiving financial aid should consult the Financial Aid Office before repeating a course; repeating courses may have an impact on financial aid eligibility.

Failure to Meet Federal Standards

Financial Aid Suspension

If a student fails to maintain satisfactory academic progress for federal aid, the student will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension. Students on suspension are not eligible for federal financial aid. This includes grants, loans and work study.

Reinstatement of Federal Eligibility

The College may consider exceptional circumstances which would justify an appeal allowing the student to receive financial aid for the following semester. Students who wish to appeal should follow the instructions under the Appeal Process below.

Appeals for federal aid will result in one of three decisions:

  • Financial Aid Probation - A student whose appeal is granted will be put on Financial Aid Probation and will regain eligibility for federal aid. If after the next semester the student still does not meet the SAP standards, they will be ineligible for further aid until they do.
  • Financial Aid Probation with an academic plan - A student whose appeal is accepted who will not be able to regain satisfactory academic standing in one semester will be placed on Financial Aid Probation with an academic plan. Plans will vary depending on academic record. Upon completion of a semester on an academic plan, a student must meet all terms of their individualized plan. If they do not, they will lbe ineligible for further aid until they are meeting the academic standards for federal aid.
  • Appeal denied/Loss of Eligibility - If an appeal is denied, the student will be ineligible for further aid until they meet the SAP standards.

Appeal Process

An appeal is the process by which a student who is not meeting SAP standards petitions the school for reconsideration of their eligibility for student aid. Appeals will be granted in accordance with the following policy:

An appeal for federal and/or state aid will be granted if situations beyond the student’s control prevent the student from maintaining satisfactory academic progress. These situations must be documented by an unbiased third party or on- or off-campus agencies. The appeal will be granted only when there is reasonable expectation that the student will meet future academic requirements. Students who failed to meet academic standards and have since taken coursework that brings them into good academic standing may appeal to have their eligibility re-evaluated.

Reasons appeals may be granted include:

  1. personal medical problems
  2. family medical problems
  3. severe personal problems
  4. other extenuating circumstances beyond the control of the student.

Third party documentation is required in all requests. Appeals will not be granted to students who reduce their course loads to avoid academic difficulty. 

To apply for an appeal, students must submit a Satisfactory Academic Appeal form and a signed letter by the deadline including:

  1. Geneseo ID number
  2. Expected graduation date
  3. Details on the extenuating circumstances that interfered with the student’s academic progress and supporting documentation
  4. Details on how the circumstances have changed

This statement must be accompanied by third party documentation supporting the given reasons for failing to maintain academic progress. These materials must be postmarked by the date specified in the notification letter and should be sent to:

Financial Aid Appeal Committee
Office of Financial Aid
SUNY Geneseo
1 College Circle, Erwin 104
Geneseo, NY 14454

The Financial Aid Appeal Committee will review the student’s request and supporting documentation. The student will be notified in writing of the committee’s decision. The decision regarding the appeal is final.

Students on Track

Federal and New York State aid recipients need to stay on track with their coursework because they may only receive aid for courses that count toward their primary bachelor’s degree program. A primary bachelor’s degree program is defined as a student’s first major, general education requirements, and elective requirements.

Students will be notified when course selections are not applicable to their degree. Courses that are not applicable to the student’s degree (and therefore not eligible for federal and/or state aid) will be flagged, and students may either select a new course that is eligible or remain in the course and have aid recalculated.

For details on Students on Track and specific requirements, please go to the Office of Financial Aid website.