Jun 10, 2023
Not available to students majoring in Neuroscience.
Faculty of the departments of Biology, Chemistry and Physics. An interdisciplinary program to prepare students for graduate study and subsequent careers in Biophysics.
Program Learning Outcomes
General Education Requirements (30-46 Credits)
Prerequisite coursework may be required to satisfy certain General Education courses and will count as elective credit.
Total Credits Required to Complete Major: 77-81
Basic Requirements: (42 Credits)
- BIOL 116 - N/General Biology Laboratory Credit(s): 2
- BIOL 117 - General Biology: Cells, Genetics, Evolution Credit(s): 3
- BIOL 119 - N/General Biology: Diversity, Physiology, Ecology Credit(s): 3
- BIOL 222 - Genetics Credit(s): 3
- BIOL 335 - Foundations of Biochemistry Credit(s): 3
- BIPH 375 - Biophysics Credit(s): 3
- PHYS 123 - Analytical Physics I Credit(s): 3
- PHYS 124 - N/Analytical Physics I Laboratory Credit(s): 1
- PHYS 125 - N/Analytical Physics II Credit(s): 3
- PHYS 126 - N/Analytical Physics II Laboratory Credit(s): 1
- PHYS 223 - Analytical Physics III Credit(s): 3
- PHYS 224 - Analytical Physics IV Credit(s): 3
- PHYS 226 - Optics and Modern Physics Laboratory Credit(s): 1
- PHYS 228 - Mathematical Methods in Physics Credit(s): 2
- PHYS 362 - Intermediate Laboratory Credit(s): 3
Elective(s) in biology or physics, 300-level Credit(s): 3
(excluding BIOL 380, 383, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399, PHYS 341, 342, 382, 383, 384, 387, 389, 394, 395, 399)
Related Requirements: (33-37 credits)
Department Writing Requirement
Students in Biophysics will satisfy the writing requirement of either the department of Biology or Physics. The determination will be made by the program director and/or advisor upon review of the student’s course selection. Students must consult with their advisors to ensure that they meet the College’s writing requirement.
For Students who Matriculated prior to Fall 2022:
Fall (14-15 Credit Hours)
Spring (15-16 Credit Hours)
Fall (16-17 Credit Hours)
Spring (14-15 Credit Hours)
Total Credit Hours: 120
*There are two possible chemistry lecture sequences: CHEM 116/118 (Chemistry I/II) and CHEM 211/213 (Organic Chemistry I/II) requires 4 semesters. An alternative accelerated chemistry lecture sequence (CHEM 203, 204, 223, 224) completes general and organic chemistry in 3 semesters (204 and 223 are each half semester courses), and might be appropriate for students with strong chemistry backgrounds. Note that either CHEM 213 or CHEM 223 is required as a prerequisite for CHEM 324. (CHEM 224 is not required for the major.)
Note: Where no prerequisites apply, some variation in the order or semester in which courses are taken is possible. Students should consult their academic advisors for additional information.